Online Writing Clinic with Dr Sandra Thibodeaux
Dr Sandra Thibodeaux is a playwright and poet who has published four collections of poetry, with the latest being Dirty H2O (Mulla Mulla Press). Sandra has written over a dozen plays that have been staged as part of festivals across Indonesia and Australia, and broadcast on Radio National. Her latest plays include The Age of Bones, A Smoke Social, Mr Takahashi (and other falling secrets) and The Lion Tamer. Sandra has twice won the NT Literary Awards for her plays, and has been short-listed for both the Patrick White and Griffin playwriting awards. The Age of Bones was nominated for a prestigious Green Room Award (Melbourne) for Best Ensemble and is currently being adapted for the screen. Sandra has conducted creative writing workshops and courses across Australia for around 15 years. She was previously Lecturer in Literary Studies and Creative Writing at Charles Darwin University.
- The course is run completely by email.
- Each month for three months, you will submit up to 1500 words in any genre. This might include: a short story; a section from your novel/memoir; a selection of poetry; or a scene from a play/film. You may choose to work on different pieces each round, or to develop the one with multiple drafts–it’s up to you.
- The following week you’ll receive feedback from Sandra Thibodeaux and your peers.
- All participants will be given the opportunity to read and comment on writing from others in the group. While this process of giving feedback is optional, it is strongly encouraged. Participation will enrich the process overall and help you to reflect on and improve your own writing.
- Basic competency with, and access to internet and a computer is a requirement of this course. We will be using .doc, .docx files.
Enrolment- 4th August
1st September (midnight) – first submission deadline
6th October (midnight) – second submission deadline
3rd November (midnight) – third and final submission deadline
“Sandra’s online clinic helped me focus on the importance of the ‘personal story’ in memoir rather than getting lost in the stories of others. She brought me back to what was key in the structure and gave me the support that (most) writers crave.” – Tanya Heaslip, author of ‘From Alice to Prague’ published 2019.
“If you want to put your life experiences, dreams, or even wild fantasies onto paper, Sandra can guide your pen and you’ll be very satisfied with the result.”
“Sandra is incisive and insightful. Her workshops stimulate the intellect. She has the capacity to nurture both beginners and more mature poets. She challenges and stimulates. Nothing is taboo, no subject too difficult, no theme disparaged.”
$150 for members / $180 for non-members
Click here to book