Writing from the Body–with Natalie Sprite
A weekend of creativity and play with Natalie Sprite
Natalie will be back in Darwin this September to once again offer her popular workshop ‘Writing from the Body’.
The body doesn’t lie. There are memories held inside our muscles and stories in our cells. When we write from our physical selves, we reach a deeper, more authentic place with our writing.
Find the story only you can tell. Write from your core. Write into the dangerous places. Our best work comes always from our authentic selves. Find the wilder parts of yourself and let that loose on the page, and see how your stories start to spark.
In this two day workshop we will use yogic, meditation and literary exercises to move gently through hesitation to find a deeper place from which to write and create work that is powerful, honest and passionate.
You’ll also gain tools in developing a regular writing practice and learn how to create stories that sing. Come prepared to write. Bring pen and paper, or laptop.
Spread over two days, the workshop will cover:
- Creating work that has authenticity and power
- Mindfulness, presence and the creative act
- Writing from your senses to create immediacy and sensuality in your prose
- Character and plot and how they intersect
- Writing dialogue that reveals the core of your characters and moves the story along
- Point of view and tense – what’s best for your story
- Structure and plot – how tell your story for the greatest impact
- The art of seeing. Finding wonder in everyday moments and using this to make your writing sing.
- Writing as ritual, how to build a writing practice.
Writers will leave with a strong body of work, some new tools and a lightness with their own writing practice. Suitable for all levels of writing experience.
Natalie Sprite was shortlisted for the Australian Vogel Literary Award for her novel Grace Notes. She is the winner of several literary fellowships and awards. Her work has appeared in anthologies and magazines including Meanjin and Australian Award Winning Writing. She is currently in Indonesia on a 2016 AsiaLink fellowship.
Saturday 23rd Sep 10-3pm
Sunday 24th Sep 10-2pm
Training Room, Darwin Sailing Club
Atkins Drive, Fannie Bay
$165/$135 NTWC Members click here for bookings
Book of the month
Birds of Australia's Top EndBuy Now