Work with us–Alice Springs Program Officer
The NT Writers’ Centre is seeking a Program Officer for a five-month part-time contract in the Alice Springs office of the NT Writers Centre. The position is 15 hours per week from the first week of February to the end of June 2020.
The NT Writers Centre encourages vibrant literary activity in the Northern Territory, developing and supporting writers in all genres at all stages of their careers.
The role is a dynamic and varied and encompasses duties particular to the Alice Springs and Barkly year-round workshop program, as well for the organization as a whole. You will be required to work independently and respond to a range of coordination, communications and administrative tasks. For the right person, this is a rewarding opportunity to contribute to the writing community in our region.
Consultation with the Executive Director to determine a mutually acceptable work schedule. Availability for some evening and weekend work may be required.
- Previous experience in events, programming or community development.
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including proven ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with a range of community stakeholders.
- Well developed written and verbal communication skills including previous experience developing material for marketing and publicity purposes including online.
- Proven ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Experience or familiarity with the Australian literary sector
- Previous experience with WordPress.
- Basic graphic design for online communications, including familiarity with the Adobe Suite
Please send a maximum two-page CV and your responses to the selection criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline January 13. Interviews will be conducted and a successful applicant notified before the end of the month. The role will begin February.
The position is paid under the Northern Territory Social and Community Services [NT SACS] Award, at the casual Community Services Worker Level 1, pay point 3, rate of $27.55/hr, plus superannuation at the statutory rate. The position may require after hours and/or weekend work
Hours of Work
- The position is approximately 15 hrs per week starting the first week of February 2020
- Consultation with Executive Director to determine a mutually acceptable work schedule.
- Availability for evening and weekend work and travel may be required
- Develop projects that support local writers’ needs in consultation with the NTWC Executive Director.
- Assist with accessing funding to support projects and programs in the Central Australia and Barkly regions in consultation with the NTWC Executive Director.
- Manage all aspects of literary workshops and events for the NTWC in the Central Australia and Barkly Regions including publicity, promotions, venue booking, contracting artists and technicians, booking travel, budget management, ticket sales, documentation and evaluation
- Support writers in Central Australia and Barkly regions, offering advice and assistance and/or referring to other personnel or agencies
- Support visiting authors with their commitments in the Central Australia and Barkly regions
- Engage with the NT wide program delivered by NT Writers’ Centre
- Manage bookings, venues, catering and equipment for events in Alice Springs
- Book travel and accommodation for touring writers or staff, as necessary
- Manage online ticket sales and receipts, and door takings in Alice Springs
- Respond to the administrative demands of the Centre’s program, including workshops, special events
Publicity and Communications
- Assist with updating the NTWC Website and social media, including Facebook and Twitter
- Assist with managing NTWC e-mail newsletters
- Publicise NTWC events through relevant channels, as necessary
- Assist with managing the media contact database, and media log
- Maximise participation in Writers’ Centre events by ensuring events are effectively promoted to a wide range of media and through a range of promotional materials
- Contribute to and advise on the management and technical aspects of all digital communications, including website and social media sites
- Support authors with publicity commitments, as necessary
- Collate statistics on NTWC events and programs as required for grant acquittals
- Maintain the Alice Springs office, including filing, correspondence, telephone and e-mail enquiries, office equipment and mail