2018 Andrew McMillan Emerging Writer’s Residency
Successful applicants will receive:
- Two weeks accomodation and meals at the Larrimah Hotel, negotiable between October 2018 and February 2019.
- Travel assistance for petrol or flights is available to the maximum value of $700.
- For the purpose of this application, ’emerging’ is any applicant with less than three books published.
- Applicants must have current membership to the NT Writers’ Centre or another organisation within the National Writers’ Centre Network. This includes members of QWC, Writers Victoria, ACT Writers’ Centre, NSW Writers’ Centre, Writers SA, and the Tas Writers’ Centre.
- Preference will be given to writers working on a substantial writing project in any genre, with view to publication.
- Able to take up residency at specified time
- Over 18
Larrimah is a small settlement (population about six), around 500 kilometres south along the Stuart Highway from Darwin, less than an hour south of the famous Mataranka hot springs. It is home to the eccentric Pink Panther Pub which also features a small collection of captive native animals, including a crocodile.
The late writer Andrew McMillan left a bequest to the NT Writers’ Centre to allow the establishment of an annual retreat for an emerging writer across genres. He often stayed at the Larrimah Hotel to get away from distractions and write, and is buried near the settlement.
Successful applicants will:
- Work on a particular project as indicated in application for the duration of the residency.
- Write a 500-word blog post for the NT Writers’ Centre website and/or the NTWC’s annual magazine during or at the conclusion of the residency.
It’s important for applicants to be aware that Larrimah is remote, and has little mobile phone or internet coverage, no shop, and only one bus a day. People should also be award that a man who lived there went missing in December 2017, and despite an extensive police search, he has still not been found. An inquest was held earlier this year.
To apply, fill in this form here.
If you have any questions, email email@example.com or ring 8941 2651.
Book of the month
Living in HopeBuy Now