2020 Chief Minister’s NT Book Awards Shortlist Announced
The shortlist for the 2020 Chief Minister’s NT Book Awards has been announced! Awarded biennially, the Chief Minister’s NT Book Awards celebrates excellence in NT writing published over the previous two years. Without further ado, the shortlisted titles in each category are as follows:
- Dina Davis, Capriccio: A Novel, Cilento Publishing, 2018
- Leni Shilton, Walking with Camels: The Story of Bertha Strehlow, UWA Publishing, 2018
- Lewis Woolston, The Last Free Man and Other Stories, Truth Serum Press, 2019
- Barry Jonsberg, A Song Only I Can Hear, Allen & Unwin, 2018
- Sandra Kendell, Beauty, Windy Hollow Books, 2019
- Siena Stubbs, Our Birds: Nilimurruŋgu Wäyin Malanynha, Magabala Books, 2018
- Gay’wu Group of Women, Songspirals: Sharing women’s wisdom of Country through songlines, Allen & Unwin 2019
- Derek Pugh, Darwin: Origin of a City, 2019
- Monica Tan, Stranger Country, Allen & Unwin, 2019
Congratulations to all the shortlisted writers. The winners will be announced in a special online ceremony on Monday 25th May. Further details about this unique online event will be available soon.
The judges for the 2020 Chief Minister’s NT Book Awards are Nadine Davidoff and Mark O’Flynn.
Nadine Davidoff is a freelance book editor and writing/editing teacher with extensive trade publishing experience. She has worked as a Senior Editor at Random House and a Commissioning Editor at Black Inc.
Mark O’Flynn has published six collections of poetry, most recently The Soup’s Song (Picaro, 2015), and Shared Breath (Hope St. Press 2017). His novels include Grassdogs (2006), The Forgotten World (2013), and The Last Days of Ava Langdon (UQP, 2016) which was shortlisted for the Miles Franklin Award and the Prime Minister’s Award for fiction, as well as winning the Voss Literary Award, 2017. A second collection of short stories, Dental Tourism, will be published by Puncher and Wattmann in 2020.