2016 Territory Read Awards
Submissions now closed. Thanks and good luck to all our entrants.
The Award Ceremony will be held at the State Library in Darwin, July 27.
The NT Writers’ Centre is once again proud to present Territory Read – the search for the NT Book of the Year.
Since 2009, the awards have celebrated excellence amongst published authors residing in the NT. They draw national attention to NT writers and in the past have served to raise the profile of remote, regional and Indigenous voices. The awards take place biennially and this year, thanks to the generosity of Chief Minister Adam Giles and the Copyright Agency Cultural Fund, we are again pleased to open three categories.
Submissions are sought for the following awards:
Chief Minister’s Book of the Year Award
For a published book across all genres by an NT resident.
For a prose work other than fiction. Includes biography, auto-biography, creative non-fiction, history, philosophy and literary criticism by an NT resident.
Best Young Adult or Children’s Fiction
For a published book in either genre by an NT resident. In the case of picture books, prize money will be split between the author and the illustrator.
The total prize money in 2016 is $9000.
Shortlisted authors will be announced on June 30. Once again we will be partnering with the NT Library to bring you the award ceremony in conjunction with the NT Literary Awards on July 27.
The 2016 judges are
Peter Bishop was founding creative director of Varuna, The Writers’ House in the Blue Mountains, 1994-2010. He is now exploring the possibilities of a writing community through a new program, The Writer Conversation.
Jennifer Mills is the author of the novels Gone and The Diamond Anchor and the short story collection The Rest is Weight. She is the fiction editor at Overland literary journal.
- Submissions now closed.
- All entries must have been published between 01 Jan 2014 and 31 Dec 2015.
- All authors must either be current residents of, or have been born in the Northern Territory.
- Entry fee is $50 per book entered. Free for NTWC members. Payment can be made on our website or over the phone at 08 8942 1100.
- Two copies of the book must be mailed to your closest NT Writers’ Centre office – GPO Box 2255, Darwin NT, or PO Box 4080, Alice Springs NT 0871. They may also be dropped at our Darwin or Alice Springs offices, Frog Hollow Centre for the Arts, 56 McMinn St, Darwin/Red Hot Arts, 67 Bath St, Alice Springs. If an eBook is available please include details.
- We unfortunately don’t accept anthologies.
- To be eligible, self-published works must be independently reviewed (picture books exempt) and publicly available for commercial sale.
- Categories will be awarded at judges discretion. If insufficient entries are received, judges may elect not to award a category.
- Copyright is retained by the author of the work.
*Entry fee is $50 per book entered. Free for NTWC members.
CLICK HERE to become an NTWC member
Book of the month
writing and drawings from the Centre
for the dry countryBuy Now